The global co-operative sector
• The co-operative sector has more than one billion members in more than 90 countries around the world.
• The world's 300 largest co-operatives have revenues in excess of $1.1 trillion, about the size of the 10th largest economy in the world (Spain), and only slightly smaller than Canada.
• Co-operatives provide more than 100 million jobs around the world, 20 per cent more than multinational corporations.
• Financial co-operatives serve an estimated 857 million people, 13 per cent of the world's population.
• 49,330 credit unions serve 184 million members in 97 countries and have combined assets of $1.35 trillion.
• Approximately 78 million members of financial co-operatives are people who live on less than $2 per day,
For more information on the global co-operative sector, visit the International Co-operative Alliance website at http://www.ica.coop